Primary Care Sheffield has been selected to run the COVID-19 Medicines Decision Unit (CMDU) for South Yorkshire from Tuesday 21st November.
The CMDU is designed to provide access to COVID-19 treatments for patients who are at the highest risk in the community. There is more information on the available treatments at www.nhs.uk/CoronavirusTreatments.
Medicines can be considered for patients aged 16+ under adult services who have tested positive (via a lateral flow test) for coronavirus and meet the eligibility criteria. It is important to note that, to be effective, these treatments must be given soon (within 5 days) after a patient starts to show symptoms. Without a positive lateral flow test treatment cannot be offered.
Patients 16 or under with a paediatrician (including under 18’s still under paediatric care) will be treated by Sheffield Children’s Hospital via their paediatric specialist. They are not eligible for this service.
The CMDU is only for the most at-risk patients – who should already have been told about their eligibility by NHS England in early June 2023. Note that the eligibility is not the same as was agreed for ‘shielding’. A full list of qualifying conditions is attached as an appendix.
Note that up until 5pm on Monday 20th November referrals can still be sent to the current provider -Local Care Direct – at CMDU@lcdwestyorks.nhs.uk.
How to access the service
- Order a stock of lateral flow testing kits to be kept at home. Find out how to get test kits.
- Check eligibility for the service using the appendix below.
- When symptoms appear take a lateral flow test within five days.
- If the lateral flow test is positive contact your GP in opening hours or 111 out-of-hours as soon as possible.
GP practices can refer to us via the attached form. We intend to explore direct booking but due to the short- timescales it will be via email initially. Forms should be sent to email@example.com
The CMDU team will contact the patient by phone within 24 hours to triage them and provide a prescription if appropriate. The service is open Monday- Friday until 5pm and from 2-4pm at weekends.
CMDU may be able to offer treatments to patients who:
- Have symptoms of Covid-19 which have been present for 5 days or less.
- Have a positive lateral test that was done within the last 5 days.
- Don’t need hospitalisation or new oxygen therapy.
- Are one of the very high-risk groups.
- Consent to take Covid-19 treatments.